Nov 21, 2012

How do our muscles grow?

I'm not much for gym. I go on rare occasion, but I'm grateful that my job has a physical component built in and that Kelly helps keep me healthy with our fantastic diet.

But how do we 'teach' our muscles to grow? How exactly do they grow bigger and lean? One important aspect is simple repetition. Three sets of eight is one method I was taught. Up and down eight times in a row then you give the muscle a rest, just for a moment to recover. Then you finish the other two sets of repetitions. Do this a few days a week, and you can slowly start lifting more weight each time. Mix in a little variety and repeat until its a habit, a regular discipline. It starts out small but grows over time.

I needed to memorize a historical timeline of dates for a class. The best way I found to do this was through repetition. I would write down all the information on a piece of paper or my little whiteboard. And then I'd do it again. And I do it another time and another. I taught myself the information I needed to know, by picking up and putting down the same info over and over. I repeated doing this until I had it. I had strengthened my mental connection to this knowledge through a mental repetition of 'lifting' knowledge.

While I don't have firsthand experience, I expect a similar habit of repeating something over and over is necessary as a parent. Children learn a lot through imitation and it takes repeated examples for information to sink in.

I find it interesting that exercise, learning, and parenting share the common thread of repetition. It's like we have to keep reminding ourselves in order to grow...
"Therefore I will always remind you about these things, even though you know them and are established in the truth you have. I consider it right, as long as I am in this bodily tent, to wake you up with a reminder, knowing that I will soon lay aside my tent, as our Lord Jesus Christ has also shown me. And I will also make every effort that you may be able to recall these things at any time after my departure." 2 Peter 1:12-15
So here's something to remind ourselves of: as believers in Jesus we're part of a new kingdom:
"...giving thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the saints’ inheritance in the light. He has rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of the Son He loves. We have redemption, the forgiveness of sins, in Him." Colossians 1:12-14

 - John

No comments:

Post a Comment