Nov 19, 2012

Date Day

Sometimes you have to take a day off. 



John's been working so hard in seminary. It's difficult to watch him spend every free moment reading, taking notes, writing papers, drafting outlines, and planning for the final exams. He's working 30 hours a week at his day job as well, and doesn't get great sleep when his wife has to be up at 4am for her shifts twice a week...

I know the first year is the hardest, so we're trying to keep a positive outlook and really guard ourselves with prayer. 

And with that in mind, today we went on a date. 

Date Day!

It wasn't anything big at all, but it meant the world to both of us. After my morning shift, I came home and got ready for our "date." We took some pictures outside for fun :)


John was a really great sport for posing in these pictures. He's so patient!



After pictures, we headed to Whole Foods to check in with the Thanksgiving Meal that they'd prepared for the employees (how sweet!). I also found a bunch of Christmas trees outside and a huge-normous tractor , so of course I needed to get a picture. 


We found that the food options for the Thanksgiving meal weren't gluten-free, so John and I headed over to a local salad bar place and ate. We talked about politics and current events and hard-boiled eggs and all sorts of random and fantastic things that had nothing to do with seminary or work. I had forgotten how great it is to just talk about stuff. Not calendars or exams or work schedules or laundry...just stuff. 

And I was really proud of the perfect swirl I made on my little bowl of ice cream!


Then we went and saw a matinee (cheaper and less crowded!) of the newest James Bond movie, Skyfall. Honestly, ladies, I hadn't realized how much I missed sitting in a movie theater cuddled up next to John. Do you remember the first movie date with your husband? The butterflies in your stomach from wondering if he'd hold your hand or not? Waiting for him to "stretch" just so he could put his arm around you?  I miss that! But there is definitely something to be said for the comfort and warmth of cuddling with your husband, holding hands and whispering about the actors and scenes. I love it!

John loved pointing out all the cool cars in the movie, which was perfect because afterwards he found an Aston Martin in the parking lot. Apparently this car cost upwards of $250,000. But taking a picture beside it is free!






All that to say, it is good to date your spouse. Even if it's a midday matinee and some ice cream, do something that reminds you how cute and sweet and amazing your spouse really is. In the words of Martha Stewart....it's a good thing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment