Feb 23, 2014

The intro to my sermon on 1 Peter 1:3-13

I'm beginning work on my sermon on 1 Peter 1:3-13. I've put together what I think will be a good introduction to the sermon. So it's a teaser of sorts, since I haven't written the rest of it.

The Intro

"Something has been lost in our day, family calling. Son's who take on their father's job and work. In the old testament, you inherited your families land and your families job if you were a priest or Levite. Even a few hundred years ago, children learned most of their skills from their parents. The “Coopers” were barrels coopers, they made barrels and buckets. The “Smiths” were the blacksmiths, working with metal. The “Millers” ground up flour at the mill. I'll let you guess what the “Bakers” did. In our individualistic society, however, we have been encouraged to find our own way. To seek out our own career and pathway in life. Being the descendant of Peter doesn't mean I do the same task that my ancestors did. My Dad works at a hospital. But I pass out when I'm around things like needles, the things that hospitals are filled with. Children no longer necessarily follow in their parents footsteps.

In 1 Peter 1, we're told that as Christians we have a new Father. So what does this mean for our calling as Christians? What is our new family calling supposed to be? What is our family identity? And how does that shape how we are supposed to live? These are some of the questions that Peter addresses in this book."

P.S. This sermon is for my preaching seminar class at seminary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment