Nov 6, 2012

A seed world

Our world is one where things start off small, seemingly insignificant. Trees start off as small seeds, but give them over to the decades and your child has a favorite place to relax and play in the backyard. As children, we start off learning that 2 + 2 = 4. A fact that is such a small bit of knowledge, but it's part of the foundation of a lifetime of learning. 

As we use our technology though, we are learning to become impatient with slow starts, with small beginnings. Through a daily routine I've learned that I can open my laptop and summon information from around the world. World class lectures, classic entertainment and a connection to family and friends is little more than a finger twitch away. We've learned that a 'now' result is possible and we've begun to expect it all the time.

Every so often, I look back at how much I've learned and see just how much I've grown over the years. But in the daily walk of life, this transformation is happening almost unnoticeably slowly. I can't see my maturity happening in the moment. It's hidden, woven into the daily choices that I make, the effort that I put in to the things that I see to be worthwhile.


As we take this life's journey, we should remember that worthwhile things are exactly that - worth the while that we must wait. Things like cultivating deep friendships, mastery at our work, and getting to truly know our spouse, these things take time.  And just like a small seed, they need nourishment and room to grow. So keep planting seeds and tending to the ones you most want to grow.
Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin, to see the plumb line in Zerubbabel’s hand.”     Zechariah 4:10
- John

No comments:

Post a Comment